With a new school year looming around the corner, is important to start prepping your children so that they have good routines in place. Now is the time to optimize health! Here are a few suggestions on things you can do to help your children succeed in school this year!
- Sleep. Start getting your child into a good routine approximately 1 week before school starts. 60-90 minutes prior to bedtime should be “quiet” time. Eliminate computers and TV and have your child use this time to do activities like reading, bathing, journaling, or having a cup of chamomile tea. These activities help calm the nervous system and promote a good night’s rest.
- Immunity. Have your child drink a cup of Astragalus root tea daily. This immune boosting tea is very mild tasting and can be easily masked in your child’s favourite drink.
- Concentration. Consider teaching your child how to meditate. Progressive muscle relaxation is a great way to teach children how to do this. Have your child start by lying down and closing their eyes. Guide them by slowly naming body parts/muscle groups from head to toe. As you name each section (e.g. hands, feet, tummy, etc.), they have to contract or squeeze that muscle group, hold for a couple of seconds, and then release.
- Energy. B vitamins are important cofactors in energy production in the body. Include a serving of dark, leafy, greens (such as spinach, kale, collards, Swiss chard, etc.) daily in your child’s diet as they are packed with these energy-building vitamins.
- Stress. With our often “over-scheduled” society, it is important to remember to allow your child time for unstructured play daily to help de-stress, have fun and boost creativity.
Want to learn more? Stop by my talk today, Thursday August 23, from 7-8pm at Goodness Me (Locke Stret), Hamilton, and help your children experience their best year yet! Visit http://drlisatabrizind.wordpress.com/events/ for more details!