Have you been indulging a little too much this holiday season? High amounts of alcohol, greasy foods, and/or baked goods can be taxing on the liver. Give your liver a break and nourish it with these top 5 liver-friendly foods:
1. Artichoke Hearts. This green veggie protects liver cells from damage and also helps stimulate the production and secretion of bile which helps aid digestion and bowel movements. This veggie also helps lower cholesterol levels.
2. Leafy Green Veggies. Leafy greens, especially those in the Brassica family (kale, collards, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, etc) are high in sulfur which is needed to produce glutathione, a crucial antioxidant that neutralizes toxins that the liver has to process.
3. Turmeric. This spice is a potent anti-oxidant and protects the liver from damage if it has been exposed to toxins.
4. Milk Thistle Tea. This mild-tasting tea has an affinity for the liver and protects and nourishes the cells of the liver. It also contains silymarin, which cleanses the liver.
5. Beets. This veggie helps support liver detoxification and is an important addition to any dietary cleanse.
Are you ready to commit to cleaning up your diet and starting 2013 on the right foot? Book an appointment with me today and let’s get you on the path to healthy living!