Sleep, glorious sleep! It is the number one way for our bodies to repair and renew, and yet so often, we do not get the sleep we need. We just experienced the end of Daylight Savings and I am sure many of us our struggling to reset our internal clocks.
Things you can do to promote better sleep:
- Keep your computer and TV out of the bedroom-this room should only be for sleep and sex. Try to avoid computer and TV use 30-60 minutes before bed as bright lights can over-stimulate your mind, making it difficult to fall asleep.
- Ensure your room is completely dark. Lights can disrupt the production of melatonin-a hormone that is involved in sleep regulation.
- Have a cup of a calming chamomile tea.
- Wind down with a relaxing bath with a cup or two of Epsom salts.
- Listen to some calming music.
- Take 10-20 slow, deep, breaths.
- In your own way, give thanks for small blessings that occurred that day. This may be in the form of a gratitude journal, a silent prayer-whatever feels right for you!
- If you are still experiencing persistent sleep disturbances, be sure to talk to your ND for additional support.