With the dreaded time change often comes loss of sleep, fatigue, and mental fogginess. Help reset your internal clock with these natural remedies:
- Melatonin: this hormone helps reset your circadian rhythm (also known as your “internal clock”). Take it 20 minutes or so before bed to help fall asleep.
- Vitamin B12: this vitamin also helps regulate your circadian rhythm and is best taken in the morning to promote wakefulness.
- Eat foods such as turkey, eggs, pumpkin seeds, cheeses, and spirulina. These foods are rich in tryptophan, an important amino acid that helps improve sleep by regulating the hormones serotonin and melatonin.
- Drink green tea. This tea contains L-theanine, an important amino acid that helps improve concentration. So down a cup of green tea if you are suffering from mental fatigue or “brain fog” after the time change.
- REST! This may seem common sense, but many of us forget the importance of getting enough sleep. With so many of us operating with sleep deprivation, use the time change as an excuse to do less and catch up on your zzz’s!